19 January 2011

empire, breathe softly.

17,280 and 28,800.
in and out.
in and out.
trying to hold it all together.
trying to keep my head high,
amidst this raging sea.
trying to keep a smile on my face,
just for you to see.
where are you now?
truth is, these impossibilities
sprout wings and fly away
when you're in the room.
truth is, if you asked,
i'd never take it off.

truth is, i'd give all of those
breaths back,
in and out,
if i could just have one of
yours.

chances, chances.
in and out.
wading slowly
in all the doubt.
my name is josh,
and yours is A.
save your shining
for another day.
let me wake,
internal, up.
another moon,
another cup.
graces, two.
give them to you.
in and out,
but i'm not through.

if you asked me for the truth,
i wouldn't know who to pray to.
in and out.
all these canals and martyrs,
christening my every wall.
in and out.
all this shallow breathing,
and it didn't make a sound.
where is the sun when
i'm six feet down?

let me fall,
and cast me out.
let me swim in the oceans
i have made alone.
the water is fine,
but the mountain has grown.
don't turn away,
smile again.
a brand new city,
count day 1.
thinking back
to 43.
in and out,
and we are free.

this storybook,
open news.
never thinking,
"if i lose..."


alright, i'll play.
boardgames and sidewalks.
give me a card,
and let us begin.
in and out,
let us begin.

we are not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment